Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bring on the Comments, My Friends

This is Adventure Girl when I woke her up on Friday, August 31st. She was mellow, sweet, but pondering why Mommy would wake her up. I could see it in her eyes, so I said, "Today is your first day of school!"
Her reaction was more sweet than any other. She hopped out of bed to brush her teeth and get dressed in the outfit she chose...purple, of course. She did let me run the comb through her hair, but insisted that we would be late if I didn't hurry.
She was really trying to oblige in the picture fest, but she was confused why we needed to document this event. It was the most normal, logical activity for her. (This summer she informed me that she was three, but she would be five soon. Therefore, she could go to kindergarten. So when the opportunity for school this fall arrived, she was ecstatic.)
Despite being outnumbered by boys, she jumped right in and played at the table. She asked me if I was leaving her there and taking Gavin.

"Yes." I said.

"Oh." she smiled and went back to her activity giggling.

Does she really even need me? Clearly this is her element, at least for now. I really hope this educational excitement will continue well into her early twenties.

And, to answer my own question. Yes, she needs me. She cannot drive herself to school, although if I taught her how she would probably self-transport. She still can't always reach the sink to wash her hands. I still help dress her Groovy Girl dolls and click the mouse over her little hand on pbskids.org . I am her mother and she does rely on me...school will not change that. My favorite purple-loving, crazy-dancing, song-singing, rock-climbing girl will always need me.

I had to grab a quick kiss between educational moments at the red kidney table. She did glance over for me to snap the next photo.

There was no time to weep or contemplate the moment. She was settled in to her favorite activity so far in life...SCHOOL!
Mommy and The Climber now have two days to hang out each week. It's our own adventure time...of which we will be making the most, but it just isn't the same without our fearless leader.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Happy first day of school sweet girl!! Tell mommy to buy you some tiger shoes! I heard house fairy came to your house!! You must be doing a great job!! Zachary and Mikayla miss you very much!!

Sally said...

Great pictures! Looks liks she had a BLAST!

the mama seal said...

Yay!! School! She will get used to the random pictures, Anders is getting to the point where he asks about the "cam" if I don't have it.