Monday, October 15, 2007

The End of an Era: Car Adventure

Well, some folks may not know this, but the Seals family has never purchased a car. Yes, it's true. We are thirty plus and entering the end of this wonderful era. Now we must buy a car, not by choice, mind you, but we must.



It all goes back to last Wednesday (a few weeks ago now, three, in fact) ...



I had gone to bible study in the morning and met a few folks afterward for the Brown Bag Symphony concert downtown. (The kids loved it and so did I. Really, who can pass up a free half hour concert where you can feed your children in a classy venue? Not me.) I ran an errand to pick up batteries at an electrical store downtown (past Union for those of you who know the area) and was headed home. I got onto a main street so I wouldn't get lost and BAM...I was rear-ended.

Long story short, our car had more damage than it was worth. Therefore, our car is no longer. It's the car our babies came home in, the car we have trekked all over California in. We did love it, it served us well. And now we are forced into a new era.

Hopefully in the next several months, we will have a Honda Odyssey. I must say I am thoroughly excited about this and cannot wait. As C would say, " a new slide doors open van, Mommy." Yes it will be, and so much more. I will keep y'all posted.

It is in fact, the end of an era. THe end of life without a car payment, the end of sedan-dom, the end of cramming one extra friend in our car or having to say no. More to the point, it is the beginning of an era...one where all can travel safely and with friends and family, one where Mommy can have space for kiddos and all their stuff, and one that our family will remember for many years because I plan on driving it until it DIES or is fatally rear-ended, which ever comes first.

2 comments:

Olive Oyl said...

My husband LOVES those new vans... SO COOL that you are getting one, not so cool the circumstances it is coming under, but still... cool.

Did Mark and I miss the boat by getting a camry instead of a van?? Man, those things seem to be flying off the lots like hot cakes. :)

Of course, it was a big step for me to trade in my tiny little college girl civic for "real" grown up car with automatic transmission and arm rests. :)

the mama seal said...

I covet the Honda Odysseys, though if we stay in NE, we would probably go with a Sienna (AWD)--I love mini-vans, even when all my friends laughed at me. I am glad you guys were not harmed in the accident. Ah, the Honda Odyssey. Do you know how much yarn and fiber you can haul from fiber festivals in one of those? You know, should you be into that sort of thing. Just saying.