First, I have been getting up early in the morning. In listening to some favorite music, I have come upon one song...scripture put to music...that has really taken root in my heart. Psalm 86: 11-13. "Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever. For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths of the grave." And, though I have not studied it word for word for the original meaning yet. Right now I can see some postures that I need to take in order to let this be true in my life. David wrote this psalm when he was in times of deep trouble. I don't think I am in times of trouble, but I will say that I am busy with three kids and I can feel like I'm in trouble when nothing gets done.
When I was up at Shaver Lake with some friends a couple weekends ago I began thinking about the idea of control. I have heard so many say that they need to stop trying to control everything and just "give it to God." I cannot say that I identify with this need to control. In fact, I am realizing that for me it is the opposite...I need to take control. It is my job to train my children in the ways of the Lord; it is my job to make our house a home. I often find myself fulfilling obligations and helping do things and not taking control over what is best for myself and my family. This fall that has not been the case though. We have been home and I have said no to many invitations of various kinds. We've been home more. And even in that I need to make sure that I am in control of my emotions and patience (or lack of). Instead of just responding, I need a plan of action for things I want to teach the kids. The last two weeks have been about kind words and manners. It seems to be working as I take control and let God bless me as I do so.
There are more thoughts rolling around, but I need to change a diaper and make lunch. That's life....and I love it!
1 comment:
And I love you for the wonderful mommy you are to those three precious babies, and for your willingness to become more as you mature and gain wisdom.
Post a Comment