Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Zone Defense

I have heard a basketball analogy describing what it's like to have three children. It's that transition from man-to-man defense to zone defense. For any basketball fans out there, this creates a picure on the hardwood. Players move from guarding a specific opponent to covering a region of the floor. I can picture the fluidity of the change for a well accomplished team..some sign is given and they all move. Well, the Seals family has moved to zone defense...and its working for us. Although I will say that sometimes it's more like hockey when there is a power play...the opponents have one more player on the ice...but that is a whole analogy in itself.

Since it smells like basketball season outside and I love language (everything from the tongue twister to hyperbole to the genius of Jesus' parables and the exquisite novel...I could go on) I thought I might continue this analogy in honor of my husband. For he is the one in our family who plays the game..the rest of us, well, we all like to watch. Well, some of us like climbing the bleachers countless times. Some of us like to dance the night away watching the cheerleaders. Some of us like to sleep through the game. Some of us munch microwave kettlecorn. Some of us keep the crowd under control. Some of us cheer like crazy. Some of us sit more quietly. You get the picture.(You just never know which one of us is doing which.)

First, the obvious, we have five players on the court. Sadly our bench is empty today. For a few early games the bench was deep...grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles.

This game is physical. Running, stopping, pivoting, jumping, chasing, catching up, and keeping up. There isn't any rest unless the clock stops. It's tiring, but good for the heart. We're tired, but our hearts are full and we're always ready for the next game.

Teamwork is required. You must work together to score points. If someone is a ball hog, everyone else gets upset. Passing is helpful to score. Handing the ball to someone else for a while is a good strategy. Relying on one another is essential. You cannot play this game alone, you would be defeated handily by the opponent.

There must be a plan. Everyone must know the plan. You have to look at the plan on a board that looks like the court. Sometimes it requires erasing and starting over. Everyone needs to know where to be and when so that the play can be made successfully. Sometimes there is a time out just to make a plan for the next play. (This is new for us, we have always had a general plan, but were open to a new one. Plans changed, we adjusted. Now, the plan is crucial. Although we are still fine with creating a new plan minutes before the next play.)

Which leads us to the time out. They are essential for rest and planning. It is a chance to get some water and catch your breath. We like to take them often and always wish they were longer. Need I say more?

And, finally, it's easier if you have a good coach...and we do. He's the best in the world and we follow Him as closely as possible. We try to listen to His advice and practice what he says we should. He's loving, but disciplines. He is shaping us into the players He knows we can become. He encourages and strengthens us. He gives us everything we need, but lets us figure some things out. (I could go on and on here, but you get the picture.)

Of course there is much more to the amazing sport of basketball. Maybe you can share your insights for this working analogy. I'm up for extending it.

However, I know that sadly all analogies break down. They are not perfect...


...but neither are we...

...and neither is our zone defense.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved being a bench warmer.

Sally said...

I LOVE your analogy! I had never thought of a family that way, but it's awesome.

Barbie said...

Great analogy! I sure wish we would have had some basketball questions during Trivial Pursuit. You would have definitely been able to answer those!

Glad to see you're back!